breathe

By | 6:45 AM 2 comments

30 of our kids are now back in school.

Let's all stop and take a deep breath...

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.

Much better.

Ok, now maybe my life will feel somewhat within the realm of do-able-ness. I won't feel so crazy out of control.

We are actually starting a new "schedule" of sorts to allow me a little bit more time to make sure some things within our own family aren't slipping too much. You know, things like my children's education. Nothing big or anything.

I like to appear that I have things all together, but the reality of this life in Haiti is that I am 6+ weeks behind in our school schedule.

You miss a day here for a sick kiddo(or 30 sick kiddo's), you miss a week there for an unexpected event...and it all adds up.

Which is fine for the most part. I am aware that the experience of living life in a third world country, the new language exposure and development, and the character building opportunities more than make up for any academic leniency with my children. I wouldn't trade this experience for them for anything.

But, as with anything, there does have to be a balance. And school does have to get done at some point. It's time to tighten up a bit.

And, again in all my honesty, I need a little bit of breather space. This job is a 24/7 commitment that demands a lot. Most days I am up at 5am and we aren't "finished" at the mission until 8pm, at which point we are lucky to make it to 9pm. 7 days a week.

Worth it? Yes!
Burn out? Yes!

So, here's to a new year and a tiny little bit more breather space to get some catch up work done.



How about you? How are you starting off your new year?

Newer Post Older Post Home

2 comments:

So glad you can breathe a little bit. You are doing awesome!

Kelly Via said...

If it makes you feel any better, we are behind in school as well. We take a week off for this, a day for that...flexibility at its best, right?