tbt: Eli's referral story, part one

By | 12:35 PM Leave a Comment

**Eli has a birthday coming up this weekend and I think it is making me uber sentimental. I am remembering the process of him joining our family...all  the ups and downs and forwards and backwards. I am re-posting a three part series I wrote about getting "the call." Man, it seems like a lifetime ago. Man, I can't imagine my life without him in it.**


This time last Thursday we got our referral call. Things have kind of seemed in a blur ever since. For me time will forever be split between life before knowing about Chala and life after knowing about Chala.

While in the wait, part one, I loved to read other adoptive families stories of their referral calls. Some even made videos. I admit to tearing up a bit at those. There was always such excitement, such anticipation leading up to the call, and oh my...such emotion. I read of moments of instant love for couples seeing their child for the first time. Instant connection.

I promised several months ago to always share my honest feelings as we go throughout our adoption journey.

So...

Here is my honest account of our referral day:

The day started as a normal Thursday. I cleaned the house and did a few loads of laundry then headed out to the library with the kids. After returning home I started fixing lunch for the kids and thought to check my messages.

Hmm? Don't recognize that number?

"Hello Jeremiah and Jennifer this is ___________ with Adoption Advocates and I am calling to talk with you about a little boy......"

(insert FREAK OUT moment here)

I put the phone down and let out a very loud OH MY GOODNESS! Ella came running to me asking me why I was yelling. My answer (no lie) was that Mommy was freaking out. She gave me a very concerned look. I knew I should explain further but my thoughts were not coherent at that moment.

Please remember that this came out of the blue. I was supposed to be geared up for this. I was supposed to be prepared. In control.

I immediately try to call Jeremiah. No answer. No answer. Aughh...no anwer.

Finally! He answered. I think I gushed out the message. We agreed that I should call back and get more information. (Duh.) Being the patient sort of person that I am in those situations I of course waited until the kids went down for nap and rest time.

Or maybe I turned on Veggie Tales and gave them an open package of Oreos and told the kids that Mommy had to make a very important phone call and I was not to be interrupted for any reason other than the loss of a limb. And it had better be an important limb.

I'm pretty sure I called my mom at some point in this too. You know, what all big girls do. Call their Mom.

I talked with our agency director and got more information about Chala and she said she would send us his picture and file by email and to look over it and call her back with any questions.

(insert check email every 30 sec. moment)

I talked with Jeremiah and we agreed that I will look over the info and call him back to talk with him but wait to look at the picture until he gets home.

Finally (ok, it was only 10 minutes later) get the email...
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: