homeschooling: keeping it real

By | 3:28 PM 4 comments

Sometimes we skip days.
Sometimes I yell at the kids.
Sometimes (almost all the time) I think "I can't do this."
Sometimes we just wing it.
Sometimes I think my kids aren't that smart.
Sometimes we call trips to the grocery store a field trip.
Sometimes we work on the same thing over and over and over and over because it just doesn't seem to be sinking in.
Sometimes I'm afraid I'm just messing my kids up.
Sometimes I just want to send them all on the magic yellow bus and call it a day.
Sometimes I really hate homeschooling.


And then...

Sometimes we work ahead of schedule.
Sometimes I get to watch a lightbulb go off.
Sometimes I get to snuggle with my kids and read and read and read to them, books that once delighted me as a child.
Sometimes I think "nany-nany-nah-nah" when I see that yellow school bus passing by and I'm still sitting in my pajamas sipping my coffee while my kids are still sleeping.
Sometimes I get to sit and paint with my kids while listening to Chopin and talk about things I am passionate about.
Sometimes we take really cool field trips.
Sometimes I'm overwhelmed at how brilliant my kids are.
Sometimes I really love homeschooling.

I just finished reading Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe (thanks for the loan, Tasha) and was especially convicted at how "together" I can sometimes portray myself to be regarding our homeschool.

I always want to keep it real.

And real means...

We have really really good days.
We have really really bad days.
And sometimes, we just have regular days.


Here's to celebrating the good days, learning from the bad days, and surviving the regular days.

Newer Post Older Post Home

4 comments:

Heather said...

You're full of good book recommendations. I'll have to look into this one as well. I'm in between books right now, so it's good timing.

Keesha Via said...

Way to keep it real Jenn! Well written post : )

So proud of you! You are still my homeschooling mom go-to...even on the really really bad days, you do them well:)

Ivy said...

I totally understand. I really wanted to award myself the "homeschooling mom of the year award" last week because we did EVERY subject EVERY day for the WHOLE week! :-)

(I have been reading your blog for a long time, but I have never commented--I don't know why; I am going to change that! ;) I guess because my snippets of time are only long enough to read posts and not draft a comment. But I really enjoy your blog. You have a super sweet family.)