ready or not...

By | 8:00 AM 3 comments
Christmas is coming.

This year, because of the move and all that craziness, has been different.

I have not stressed about gifts, cooking, cards, decorating...at all.

Yes, we did get our tree up and hang our stockings.
And yes, we are doing fun family things like a gingerbread house, watching Christmas movies, looking at lights...

But it is a very simple Christmas this year.

The kids are getting one gift this year. Yes, just one. And a few stocking stuffers.

I'm learning that like in most things, less is more when it comes to this time of year.

I'm not sacrificing memories for my children, instead I am creating ones that don't include a crazy maniacal mom trying to get everything done. I am actually able to be present and enjoy making memories. I am sticking to a budget and not stressing about spending money that isn't there. And I am able to remember what this holiday is really about.

One verse that I've been meditating on this last week is Psalm 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."

It's just so easy to get caught up in all I want.
But I have all I need in Christ.

All because of that very first Christmas.

My hope is that my kids won't remember this as the Christmas they only got one present, but as the Christmas where we had so much fun and made Jesus big and remember how Mom got all crazy that one night and taught us how to cabbage patch and roger rabbit...

Um, did that just come out?

Let's move on.

Don't get me wrong...I am not anti-present or anti-celebration...but I am grateful for this year and the gift of perspective that I've been given that is letting me focus on less excess and more exaltation of the entire reason for this season.






Newer Post Older Post Home

3 comments:

Thanks for the reminder!

We have been having dance parties too...only I haven't broken out any old dances. Maybe tonight!

Ashley said...

Beautiful reminder.

The Martins said...

Thanks for sharing this post! We are experiencing very similar Christmases this year. We too are keeping things simple. With our move coming up, the extras like shopping, baking, decorating kind went out the window. I'm looking forward to a "quieter" Christmas.