volume

By | 11:19 AM Leave a Comment

I have the extremely rare morning when I am home absolutely alone.
Other than the birds chirping away my house is oddly/amazingly quiet.

Quiet does such good for my soul.
It is why I love the wee hours of the morning so much.
Yes, for a lot of reasons...but mainly the quiet.

I've even started not turning on music in the car when I am driving somewhere by myself.

I hope I'm not getting old and weird, but I fear that is happening.

I have learned that I need to have these times of intentional quiet, where I shut off the noise,, the voices, the busy, the expectations, the everything...so that I can hear His gentle whisper. So that I can feel His gentle whisper.

My inability to hear or feel God isn't his failure to speak or be present. It isn't even my inability to listen. It's rooted in my failing to turn down the noise. To be intentional about finding those moments, those blocks of time, where I turn my focus away from facebook or my phone or my to do list, and I'm just with Him.

I know it sounds weird. It will probably even feel weird the first few times if you attempt it. But that's okay. We can handle weird.

What I can't handle is living in the noise without the quiet. The quiet helps/equips/allows me to enjoy the noise when the noise returns. Because, let's face it, the noise always returns.

Life is noise.

But that noise is made much more beautiful by the quiet.






So He said, “Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORDbut the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle whisper. 13When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
1 Kings 19:11-13




Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: