tile floors, homemade handcuffs, and hope...always hope

By | 9:04 AM Leave a Comment

I was really hoping that we would avoid the whole stomach bug thing while living in Haiti...

Yeah, that didn't happen.

4 out of the 6 of us have had some fun times the last few days. The other 2 of us have been cleaning machines. Thank goodness for tile floors. And a washing machine.

This has also meant that we have pretty much quarantined ourselves to our house (our house is about 20 feet down the road from the mission) in the hopes (Oh, please please please God!) that we avoid spreading this bug to the mission kids.

Can you imagine?!

Anyways...the walls are closing in on me. I'm not gonna lie. Jeremiah and I have had our first twinges of true homesickness this week as we know of all the family holiday togetherness that is happening with Thanksgiving.

Nevertheless, we gotta keep it together for the kids.

I made a quick run over to the mission early this morning to put up a birthday banner, as two of our girls, Gina and Enolica, have birthdays today when I noticed an extra large amount of people gathered in the street around the gate to the mission.

And then I saw the man, sitting knees to the ground and face to the wall, with his hands handcuffed in a crude homemade version of police handcuffs. And I noticed the brand new electric wire dangling from the pole...cut off...and just dangling...and then I knew...

This man was caught stealing our brand new electric cord that we just had hooked up to our mission transformer.

The man was eventually taken to the police station...but who knows what will happen.

Never, ever, boring.

There is so much we are learning about Haitian culture. Like most things, the more I learn, the more I realize I have to learn. There is no easy fix to the issues we are faced with everyday.

But, there is hope.

Always hope.

Found in the kids who snuggle up around me as I read to them from the Bible every single morning. Found in Bianca's honesty upon finding a toy that wasn't hers. Found in Appoloste's questions about sin nature. Or Gina's pleasure in learning all her colors. Or Baboo's cheesy grin.



I hold onto that hope.

Especially on days where mountains of laundry pile up, sick kids surround, and I just want to go home for the holiday.

Be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction, 
faithful in prayer.
Romans 12:12



Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: