homeschool: have a heart (and a spleen and a femur)

By | 7:42 AM 5 comments



It was a great month of school around here, with just a few interruptions for sickness. Regardless, we pressed through and now we are onto March!

The boys are moving right along with their ABC school and just finished up the letter H last week.
The letter H is kinda a big deal in this house. No offense to the other letters.

They also worked a lot on their cutting skills, patterns, graphing, sorting, and classifying. I think their favorite week was "G" week because I got a gumball machine and we guesstimated, graphed, made patterns, and of course...chewed gum all week.




Our science unit for the month was spent studying the human body. I divided it into 4 weekly subgroups: the five senses, the circulatory system (for Valentine's week, of course), the digestive system (for noro virus week, of course), and the muscular and skeletal system. Yes, I know that leaves out a lot of the human body...but I do have the next 16+ years of their life to cover it, so I'm not too worried.

They had a blast testing out what their senses tell them...and doing some blindfolded taste tests and obstacle courses. It's ok to laugh at this picture. And yes, Ezra is trying to peek. 
We all got fingerprinted and made a complete mess  learned about the uniqueness of their bodies. Which happened to tie in with our Bible verse of the month: 

I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

For the circulatory system we learned about what is in our blood, how our blood circulates, how much blood we have in our bodies at different stages of our life, and what our heart really looks like. We also visited a lab and the kids got the extreme pleasure of watching my blood get drawn. I believe that was quietest 10 minutes of their life, ha!




For the digestive system we measured out the length of their small intestine and learned how it could fit inside the small space of their tummy, drew out the digestion path on the driveway, studied the different types of teeth we have and their roles, and of course...talked about throw up. 


We looked at anatomy books and talked about what makes our bones grow. We looked at the different types of joints in our bodies. We discussed what they thought our bodies would be like without bones..."floppy like a worm!" We looked at the layers of our muscles and made our own shoulder muscles.







Here they are with their finished bodies. They were sort of proud if you can't tell...





Ella learned about volume this month in math. Rather than just tell her that ___ cups = ____ 1qt., etc., I let her figure it out and prove it to herself. The boys were happy to get in on the action too.


Ella and I also finished reading through Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess, one of my favorite books as a little girl. It was so much fun to see her enjoying it as much as I did!

Next Month...the wonders of weather!
I wonder if I could work in a visit to go see my man crush, Greg Fischel?
Newer Post Older Post Home

5 comments:

Austin said...

HAHA this cracks me up...your man crush? My family knows Greg Fischel! He attends my parents church. If you need assistance in this area let me know and I will see what my mom can do.

Great job! I love the learn on your own volume thing - I'll have to remember that. Love that they can get so much hands on learning through homeschooling.

Jeremiah said...

NO AUSTIN! I am no match for the Fisch. - Jer

Kelly Via said...

This is great! I love seeing all their hard work! We are currently learning about our bodies in health right now - We are getting ready to have outlined little girls around our school room too! Your activities look really great - I may have to refer back to this blog in the next few weeks!

Talk about show off;)

I love getting ideas from you! You are such a GREAT teacher.