memory monday: Philippians 2 (with a challenge)

By | 10:01 AM Leave a Comment




My soul has always responded to the words found in Philippians 2 in a my-heart-may-burst kind of way. And so, I've challenged myself with memorizing this chapter this month.

We head back to Haiti for this summer in just a few short weeks. Gone are the romantic notions about how fun and easy our time will be there. I know it is going to be be hard and I will need to keep my focus on Jesus and imitating his humility. Philippians 2 is the perfect chapter to fill my head and heart with before we head off.

There is so much packed into this chapter: deep theological lessons, ethical foundations, and a pointed and rich account of Jesus' humility.

I've challenged my  Ella to memorize this with me as well as one of my sisters...perhaps you'd like to join me in the challenge?

_________________________________________________________________________________

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others. 

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, 
who, though he was in the form of God,
   did not regard equality with God
   as something to be exploited, 
but emptied himself,
   taking the form of a slave,
   being born in human likeness.
And being found in human form, 
   he humbled himself
   and became obedient to the point of death—
   even death on a cross. 


Therefore God also highly exalted him
   and gave him the name
   that is above every name, 
so that at the name of Jesus
   every knee should bend,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
and every tongue should confess
   that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father.


 Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Philippians 2:1-14

Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: