so wrong (and so right)

By | 7:00 AM 2 comments
Overheard unsolicited prayer between Eli and Ezra:

Ezra: Dear Jesus, help us to get lots of candy when we trick or treat again.
Eli: And help us watch Bambi.
Ezra: And help me to have a lightning mcqueen party.
Eli: And Santa Clause.
Ezra: Yes, and Santa Clause with presents.
Eli: Yes.
Ezra: Yes.

God is not a vending machine or a drive thru restaurant. I know this.
My boys are (obviously) still learning this.

However wrong this vending machine view of God that they currently posses, there are a few things that I could stand to learn from them.

I love that they felt like they could talk to Jesus without any prompting from me and not at the "traditional" times. The backseat of the van on an errand run is a great time to talk with their God.

I love that they felt like they could talk to Him about things that were important to them. Trick or treating, bambi, lightning mcqueen, and santa claus.

But mostly I loved their sense of expectation that came with the prayer. In their minds they had prayed for it...therefore, it was a done deal. They won't be surprised by God.

Yes, we have a lot of work to do on grounding their theology.
But I am reminded (yet again) of how much I stand to learn from them.



But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me. Don't stop them! For the kingdom of heaven belongs to those who are like these children." (Matthew 19:14)

Newer Post Older Post Home

2 comments:

mommajeane said...

I believe that God listens to the prayers of children because they are pure prayers...One reason why I have surrounded my life with children is they "tell it like it is" and I love the honesty in thier prayers.

Stacey said...

I love how Ezra, after hearing Eli as for Santa Claus, knew that Santa Claus alone would be a bummer. Yes, Santa Claus WITH presents!

Yes. Yes. =)