Have vs.Get

By | 7:58 AM 5 comments

Have.
Get.

The use (or more likely, the misuse) of these two little causative verbs has a surprisingly big impact on my day.

When I use the phrase "I have to _________________ (go to church, work, teach the kids, etc.)," I am inferring that given the choice, I would choose something else. That the task that I have to do is a burden.

When I use the phrase "I get to __________________ (go to church, work, teach the kids, etc.)," I am inferring that I recognize the privilege and blessing of my task, my child, my job, my freedom to worship, etc.

If I can change my perspective from "I have to go grocery shopping" to "I get to go grocery shopping" I am recognizing the blessing that it is for me to have the ability to provide food for my family.

If I can change my perspective from "I have to exercise" to "I get to exercise" I am recognizing the blessing that it is for me to be healthy enough to exercise.

If I can change my perspective from "I have to do school today with the kids" to "I get to do school today with the kids" I am acknowledging the privilege it is to get a front row seat on the development of their minds and to be part of their learning process.

And so on and so forth...

Granted, their are some tasks that I will never be excited I get to do...

"I get to clean this vomit out of the car seat cushions" um...said no one ever!

But If I can intentionally watch my causative verbs as I go throughout my day, my perspective and attitude can completely reflect the attitude the Lord would have me approach my day with.

"Whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Col 3:17.

What do you get to do today?


Newer Post Older Post Home

5 comments:

DeeDee said...

I get to be encouraged by Jennifer today....what a blessing!

Amy Wolford said...

I GET to run 4 miles in 75 degree heat today! Woohoo!!

Jennifer said...

I get to find a new blogger who definitely inspired me with her words today! Thank you! :)

mommajeane said...

Loved this post Jenn. I plan on sharing it tonite with the kids. I got to go to Baltimore all day with Gracie, Andrew and Anna :)

Kelly Via said...

Love. Great thoughts for this momma as well!!