remember

By | 7:34 AM 1 comment

Then take care to remember, lest you forget the Lord, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 
Deuteronomy 6:12

Scripture is replete with examples of the importance of remembering. 
And full of examples of what happens when people fail to remember.
I have never read a story of anything good happening when people fail to remember. Ever.

Therefore, I try to be intentional about the practice of remembering...

What God has done, 
what he has brought us through, 
what he has taught us, 
how he has provided, 
and what he has called us to.

It's why I blog and why I keep a journal and make the habit of looking back through them...what a faith builder!

Today I am remembering where we were two years ago: Sitting in the hospital room at Duke, waiting on discharge papers for us to finally go home after a complete and successful cranial reconstruction surgery for Eli. I was very 8 months pregnant and completely over the hospital scene. I was wondering how in the world we were going to keep Eli from bumping his head for the next 6 weeks. I was missing my other two kiddo's who were living it up with Gramma and PawPaw in Florida. What a week!

I learned so much about trusting in the Lord during that time period. Everything...from the surgery to my pregnancy fears about pre-term labor again to our concerns about insurance not covering the surgery...was out of my control. I was completely dependent on Him. 

Which, I remember, is a very good place to be.

The surgery was completely successful, Eli could easily wear a bike helmet, and his frontal lobe had room to breathe for the first time in his 3 1/2 years of life.
Zoe held off and came full-term at 38 1/2 weeks.
Insurance ended up covering 100% of it. We didn't pay a penny.

Yes, dependent on God is a really really good place to be.

Our first week back at home and Eli perked up enough to give Daddy a wet-willy. 

Of course, it was reciprocated.


**You can read all the old posts written during that time here and here.**

Newer Post Older Post Home

1 comments:

Kelly Via said...

I have learned over the years that placing memory markers all along the way is a very very good thing. It is so good to look back and remember. I remember this time for you; what a strong, brave momma you were (and even more so today!).