Change, part 2

By | 2:54 PM 6 comments
Here's a simple yet profound change we instituted after last weekends getaway:

We downsized our satellite tv contract.
We now only have the local channels and a few others.


I am not anti-television nor do I think that this is something everybody needs to do. There is a time and a place for it in our lives. It just was taking up too much time and too big of a place.

"You can't expect to watch hours of tv and read the Bible for a few minutes and expect to be changed." - Pastor Clay

"We need to realized that how we spend our time, what our money goes toward, and where we will invest our energy is equivalent to choosing God or rejecting him." - Francis Chan in Crazy Love

The $30+ we are not spending on tv is now set aside in our book/giving fund.

I realized that in all my efforts of goal and list making I have never set a goal to watch more tv. After just a week of this we have already noticed a lot:

1) The kids are more content to play with their toys and get creative
2) I am more creative with them
3) When we have watched tv it has been something we have actually chosen...and really enjoyed watching
4) Jeremiah and I have had meaningful conversation every night

All this after just one week?
Why didn't we do this sooner?!
Newer Post Older Post Home

6 comments:

Kelly Via said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Via said...

No more HGTV, no more USA? Ohhhh I really enjoy USA. And 4 channels of cartoons? Gone? Ahem...I mean, hey, way to go!! That's a great decision and I am proud of you all for that! Way to go!

Heather said...

I love this. We did this years ago, and have not regretted it since. I would add something that I've grown from. Martie and I pick out a book together, and while I fold laundry at night he reads it to me. Then we discuss it. I'm too busy to miss those shows at night. Right now we're reading Voddie Baucom, "Family Driven Faith". Our next book is Instructing a child's heart, by Tedd & Margy Tripp.

This has also helped me to get "re-focused" for the next day. :) I'm so excited for you, AND I see so many similarities.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sistah!

We've never paid for cable and LOVE it too! We even laugh that we watch tv so little that we almost missed changing our clocks last week, HA! So proud of you and excited to see your family getting closer together through this=)

Not quite ready to give it up all together, :) but we do sporadic tv fasts to refocus when I notice that it's taking up too much time. On a side note, I've been loving keeping up with you on your blog but miss the real thing. :) I can't believe that in all the hours we are at church we never even see each other! We need to set more play dates!