The Stand Off

By | 10:34 AM 4 comments
It has been 2 hours and 45 minutes that Ella has been sitting at the kitchen table.

Let me first explain that I DO NOT make a big deal out of food with either of my children.

We just have a few simple rules regarding meal times:

1) You don't have to like it
2)You have to try it
3) If you decide you don't like it after trying it...no big deal. That said..you are not getting something else to eat. If you are hungry later you can always go back and eat the original meal.

I am not harsh about these rules and do make an effort not to make meals that my kids absolutely hate or give portion sizes that are overwhelming =)

Usually these rules serve us well and meals are not a battle ground around the Hambrick house.

Yes, my kids have gone without eating a meal or two they didn't like...but they certainly never starved to death =)

Update: We are now at the 3 hour mark.

However, when Ella walks up to the table and defiantly says that she doesn't like what we are having for breakfast...then defiantly says that she is not going to eat any of it...

Sigh.

I have to do something.

Hence the 3 hours at the table =)

O child of mine, I love you too much to allow you to behave this way.

___________________________________________

Final Update: A clean plate (and contrite heart) was finally reached at 3 hours and 45 minutes.

"When you are defiantly challenged, win decisively."
-James Dobson
Newer Post Older Post Home

4 comments:

Briana said...

that's awesome. We had a time limit we could sit at the table too...i remember quite a few occasions where dad had said, "you have until this hand (pointing to the grandfather clock) gets HERE if you haven't finished your (insert food item here) by then you are either getting a spanking or going right to bed." Then i recall how that hand would get to about 1 minute before "here" and Chaz was crying and shoving food in his mouth...it was awesome. You'd think he would have learned his lesson but no, the next night... :)

anyway, it will make for a great story later. Good job winning the battle. Go team Jenn!

Way to go Jenn. You hung in there and stood your ground! I'm so proud of you. You are a GREAT mom!!! I couldn't help remembering the time that Zeke spent about 4 hours in his pack-n-play because he wouldn't sign "thank you". It was his whole attitude, ya know?! By the way, did you make it to your appointment?=)

mommajeane said...

I knew you could do it....I sort of remember someone little with a very strong will herself.. glad you won this one. I love your quote from Dobson... When I shared about your phone call to me this am with Dad.. it was what he quoted to me. We can come for a visit if you like or meet you half way if Ella needs to visit her nana and pawpaw. :)

Good for you Jenn! Was that not the longest 3 hours you ever spent!

I am afraid from what I have heard about a sweet little blonde named Jennifer and another little girl named debbie with a "McKay" stobborn streak a mile long...that...well lets just say this probably won't be the last pow wow at the table! ;-)
You are the BEST mom!! Hang in there!!