control (and lack thereof)

By | 7:25 AM Leave a Comment



I am a closet control freak.
I love to be in control, but I am very good at hiding it to most people.

Most people.

Not my inner circle of Jeremiah and the kids and the few friends I allow to see me freak out when I feel out of control. (You know who you are!)

If there is one thing this  life journey to Haiti has taught me...it is that I am completely and utterly out of control.

I control my reactions and that is it. Period.

Controlling things makes me "happy", but allowing God to control makes me holy.

The thing is...I know this. I know that losing control creates dependency on God. Which is exactly where I want to be. Where I need to be. And dare I say it...where everyone who calls themselves a Christ follower needs to be.

Dependency on God is something you need to be intentional about allowing. For any of you other closet control freaks I am guessing you are really good at a few things. We are really capable, efficient, productive...call it what you want, but we have got some skills!

Or "skillz" as we say here in D-town.

Those skills aren't bad and using them for the work of the Lord is a great thing.

But.

Where you will experience the most relationship and shout the Glory of the Lord the loudest is when you act on His character, not on your own.

Now, I'm not talking about throwing yourself off a building and seeing if God will make you fly. Duh.

I am talking about choosing to obey Gods word in the things that we know are close to His heart...local and foreign missions, caring for widows and orphans, and leading your family just to name a few. Then step out in faith, take a risk, put yourself in a position where God has to be in control and come through because you cannot do it on your own.

It's scary, it's exhilarating, and yet...its peaceful in a deeper way than you will ever experience doing anything else. Soul fulfilling peaceful.

I like the way my pastor put it a few weeks ago...

"Faith is risk. It is acting on the character of the One who is trustworthy."

It is not acting on my abilities.
It is not acting on my character.

It is acting on His character.
His never failing, ever loving, perfect, grace filled character.

...And he has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10





Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: