Growing up my Mom always went to the grocery store every week...so, naturally after I got married that is just what I did too. However, I decided a few weeks ago to change up my normal grocery shopping routine and only go to the store every 2 weeks.
I was motivated to make these changes for the following reasons:
1) As much as I love running errands with the kids in tow...my concentration is sorely tested when trying to keep up with 2 toddlers, coupons, the sales flyer, and my list. So, I would normally shop on Jeremiah's day off while he watched the kids...and I always hated to give up our precious time together for this. Shopping every 2 weeks would give us 2 extra days a month without the interruption of my grocery shopping trip planned into his day off.
2) We get paid every 2 weeks...self-explanatory =)
3) Since I do use coupons, sales flyers, The Grocery Game, and meal planning when I shop...I feel like I would have more time to prepare and be less likely to overspend due to lack of planning.
4) I'm not sure of the "why" behind this...but I feel like I am able to push our money farther by having $135 verses $75. I reserve about $15 for the 2nd week for a quick trip for things like fruit and milk and the items that it is just not possible to keep fresh for 2 weeks.
This has been the 1st month I have done this, and so far I am really pleased with how well it has worked out. I haven't run out of things (my biggest fear with the change) and I have enjoyed having a whole week to not even worry about making it to the store.
What about you...What is your system and why does it work for you?
Jesus follower. After that I'm happily married, mom to four, homeschooler, traveler, photographer, and never one to turn down a good cup of coffee.
I wrote a few weeks ago how I've been working my way through memorizing Philippians 2. It's coming along, except for one verse I ke...
The week has flown by and Jeremiah is getting on the plane as I write this to begin his flight home. We haven't gotten to talk muc...
Oh man, what a week. What a week. Inhale. Exhale. 90% packed up. It's always that last 10% that gets me. Kids are bouncing off the ...
Confession time. When Jeremiah is out of town/country, we do things, well...a little bit differently. Cereal is a justifiable dinner c...
Amidst, the flurry of packing and planning that was our weekend, we did manage to squeeze in some time to celebrate the #1 Dad in our lives...
- ► 2015 (62)
- ► 2014 (108)
- ► 2013 (145)
- ► 2012 (222)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (405)
- Almost is just not good enough
- The amazing flying E-Z!
- They're baaack...
- Technology-Free Thursdays
- free air-conditioning
- Road Trip...
- The Kids Exchange
- Two things that don't mix...
- A Grocery Experiment
- My top reasons...
- Snow pictures: just having fun
- Snow pictures: black and white
- Snow pictures: the preperation
- This time...they were right!
- I give it a 50/50 chance...
- Memory Monday
- 16 month update
- Better late than never...
- Sandbox monsters...
- Memory Monday
- Prayer Request
- Making the best of it...
- Welcoming 2009 with the sniffles...
- ▼ January (28)
- ► 2008 (345)