Growing up my Mom always went to the grocery store every week...so, naturally after I got married that is just what I did too. However, I decided a few weeks ago to change up my normal grocery shopping routine and only go to the store every 2 weeks.
I was motivated to make these changes for the following reasons:
1) As much as I love running errands with the kids in tow...my concentration is sorely tested when trying to keep up with 2 toddlers, coupons, the sales flyer, and my list. So, I would normally shop on Jeremiah's day off while he watched the kids...and I always hated to give up our precious time together for this. Shopping every 2 weeks would give us 2 extra days a month without the interruption of my grocery shopping trip planned into his day off.
2) We get paid every 2 weeks...self-explanatory =)
3) Since I do use coupons, sales flyers, The Grocery Game, and meal planning when I shop...I feel like I would have more time to prepare and be less likely to overspend due to lack of planning.
4) I'm not sure of the "why" behind this...but I feel like I am able to push our money farther by having $135 verses $75. I reserve about $15 for the 2nd week for a quick trip for things like fruit and milk and the items that it is just not possible to keep fresh for 2 weeks.
This has been the 1st month I have done this, and so far I am really pleased with how well it has worked out. I haven't run out of things (my biggest fear with the change) and I have enjoyed having a whole week to not even worry about making it to the store.
What about you...What is your system and why does it work for you?
Jesus follower. After that I'm happily married, mom to four, homeschooler, traveler, photographer, and never one to turn down a good cup of coffee.
The end of the school year is fast approaching. We are finishing up books and subjects one at a time, dwindling down to the very end. Ella ...
On the road again... We head up north this afternoon. We are sharing at a church this weekend, but decided to leave a few days early to s...
**This one comes all the way from December of 2011...and I can barely even remember that stage of my life with a 5 year old, 2 four year old...
I've had a few rather...well, shall we say " trying" days with one of my children. (Craigslist, anyone?!) I was completely...
She's either pretending to be an animal, playing with an animal, or running from a pretend animal. We aren't talking cute a...
- ► 2014 (108)
- ► 2013 (145)
- ► 2012 (222)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (405)
- Almost is just not good enough
- The amazing flying E-Z!
- They're baaack...
- Technology-Free Thursdays
- free air-conditioning
- Road Trip...
- The Kids Exchange
- Two things that don't mix...
- A Grocery Experiment
- My top reasons...
- Snow pictures: just having fun
- Snow pictures: black and white
- Snow pictures: the preperation
- This time...they were right!
- I give it a 50/50 chance...
- Memory Monday
- 16 month update
- Better late than never...
- Sandbox monsters...
- Memory Monday
- Prayer Request
- Making the best of it...
- Welcoming 2009 with the sniffles...
- ▼ January (28)
- ► 2008 (345)