Several people have asked how we redid the fireplace, so here is the low down:
- Masonry primer: Easily found at Lowes for about $20 a can. It took a whole can to cover our fireplace because so much of it soaks into the brick. Make sure you get a masonry primer because it seals the brick for the next coat of paint
-Paint: Any interior paint will work once the brick has been primed. We used a semi-gloss finish.
- Good painters tape: Again, found at Lowes for about $5 a roll.
- 1/2" thick paint rollers: You'll need the thicker napped roller to make the painting easier and to fill in all the crevices of the brick
- Drip cloths/paint brushes/etc.
- Spray Paint: The kind that adheres to metal.
Total cost of everything for us was around $80.
1) Prep the fireplace
- Remove brass fireplace grate
- Pull off old mantle
- Clean off brick
- Tape off edges
- Lay drop cloths, etc.
2) Prime the fireplace
- It only took one coat for us
3) Paint the fireplace
- Again, just one coat was all it took
4) Spray paint the old brass fireplace grate
5) Wait for everything to dry =)
6) Put new black grate back on
- We had looked at purchasing a brand new grate, but the cheapest ones we could find (that we liked) were $300. So we just decided that we would go with the old one...made new with a $6 can of spray paint!
7) Put mantle back on
- If you aren't able to remove the mantle like we were, just tape the edges really well.
And there you have it folks, a simple 1 1/2 day project for under $100 that makes a big difference!
By the way, HGTV...if you are reading this...I would LOVE my own show =)
Jesus follower. After that I'm happily married, mom to four, homeschooler, traveler, photographer, and never one to turn down a good cup of coffee.
We last left off on our walk... We kept walking and walking...and it truly was one of my favorite parts of the entire trip. A little ex...
Jeremiah and I just returned from Haiti, again. This trip I made it a point to document a day that we traveled outside the city. Any d...
Picking berries was on our Summer Bucket-O-Fun List, so on a rare and treasured "free" day we all headed out to Blacksburg to v...
In a rather last minute (because that's how this control-planner-oriented-who-deep-down-is-more-of-a-free-spirit-than-she'd-eve...
It all began as innocent fun in the sprinkler... Then he got a (slightly sinister) idea... Come on Eli...you k...
- ► 2015 (105)
- ► 2014 (108)
- ► 2013 (145)
- ► 2012 (222)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (405)
- Question of the day
- Harris Teeter Triple Coupons
- Bowl of Beans
- Duke Gardens Date
- Little River Park
- Ain't it great...turning twenty-eight!
- How real men cut the grass...
- New look
- Watch out Milton and Bradley
- Fireplace How To
- Library Story Hour:Take two
- A big fat zero
- Fill vs. Drain
- Weekend Project
- An everyday conversation
- Missing Warning Label
- Bubbles and roller skates
- Meet and Greet
- Leave it to Beavers
- Now, what was I saying?
- The hardest hour
- Breakfast in the buff
- Easter Family Photos
- A reminder for all the fellow couponers...
- Holy Week: Eggs
- Holy Week: Passover Meal
- Holy Week: Clean House Clean Hearts
- Just because...
- Holy Week: Planting seeds
- New shoes
- Holy Week: Story Time
- Beyond the Bunnies: Hambrick Family Holy Week
- Ella, the cupcake maker (not eater)
- Just mine?
- The inevitable
- The blur known as our weekend...
- Question of the day
- Bedtime Bootcamp
- Instant Starbucks?
- A crazy, lazy, hazy kind of day
- ▼ April (41)
- ► 2008 (345)