Several people have asked how we redid the fireplace, so here is the low down:
- Masonry primer: Easily found at Lowes for about $20 a can. It took a whole can to cover our fireplace because so much of it soaks into the brick. Make sure you get a masonry primer because it seals the brick for the next coat of paint
-Paint: Any interior paint will work once the brick has been primed. We used a semi-gloss finish.
- Good painters tape: Again, found at Lowes for about $5 a roll.
- 1/2" thick paint rollers: You'll need the thicker napped roller to make the painting easier and to fill in all the crevices of the brick
- Drip cloths/paint brushes/etc.
- Spray Paint: The kind that adheres to metal.
Total cost of everything for us was around $80.
1) Prep the fireplace
- Remove brass fireplace grate
- Pull off old mantle
- Clean off brick
- Tape off edges
- Lay drop cloths, etc.
2) Prime the fireplace
- It only took one coat for us
3) Paint the fireplace
- Again, just one coat was all it took
4) Spray paint the old brass fireplace grate
5) Wait for everything to dry =)
6) Put new black grate back on
- We had looked at purchasing a brand new grate, but the cheapest ones we could find (that we liked) were $300. So we just decided that we would go with the old one...made new with a $6 can of spray paint!
7) Put mantle back on
- If you aren't able to remove the mantle like we were, just tape the edges really well.
And there you have it folks, a simple 1 1/2 day project for under $100 that makes a big difference!
By the way, HGTV...if you are reading this...I would LOVE my own show =)
Jesus follower. After that I'm happily married, mom to four, homeschooler, traveler, photographer, and never one to turn down a good cup of coffee.
The great wash out. Non-stop rain since Friday with no end in sight. It's a good thing we like rainy days. Last week, after I ha...
It's October?! What, what?! What happened to September? Anybody else with me? We got a gloriously sunshiny one day brea...
Our Via-cation week is one of the highlights of our year, every year, going on over a decade now. We've swam, fished, gotten too ...
It's Monday and the sun is out! As in, grab-your-sunscreen-its-never-looked-brighter out! Oddly enough, my three youngest are fast...
So many comings and goings, but right now, right here, while the rain is coming down, the skies are grey, the house is surprisingly qu...
- ► 2015 (85)
- ► 2014 (108)
- ► 2013 (145)
- ► 2012 (222)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (405)
- Question of the day
- Harris Teeter Triple Coupons
- Bowl of Beans
- Duke Gardens Date
- Little River Park
- Ain't it great...turning twenty-eight!
- How real men cut the grass...
- New look
- Watch out Milton and Bradley
- Fireplace How To
- Library Story Hour:Take two
- A big fat zero
- Fill vs. Drain
- Weekend Project
- An everyday conversation
- Missing Warning Label
- Bubbles and roller skates
- Meet and Greet
- Leave it to Beavers
- Now, what was I saying?
- The hardest hour
- Breakfast in the buff
- Easter Family Photos
- A reminder for all the fellow couponers...
- Holy Week: Eggs
- Holy Week: Passover Meal
- Holy Week: Clean House Clean Hearts
- Just because...
- Holy Week: Planting seeds
- New shoes
- Holy Week: Story Time
- Beyond the Bunnies: Hambrick Family Holy Week
- Ella, the cupcake maker (not eater)
- Just mine?
- The inevitable
- The blur known as our weekend...
- Question of the day
- Bedtime Bootcamp
- Instant Starbucks?
- A crazy, lazy, hazy kind of day
- ▼ April (41)
- ► 2008 (345)