A Father's Perspective

By | 7:15 AM 10 comments
My wife has been writing honestly and beautifully about our adoption process. I may be a little biased, but I think her blog is the best and she could write circles around just about anyone. I find myself getting caught up in her posts and I was there for most of them.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he made the comment "You come across as the hero on your blog." He meant it in an encouraging way, it was, but I have to admit I do not feel like the hero at all. I thought I would write today for two reasons. Its a type of therapy for me and it will give a little of my perspective on this whole adoption journey.

I love kids. I love making them laugh and teaching them. I love my kids most of all. I love how Ezra tackles me out of nowhere like a ballistic missile, I love how Ella whispers "I want to marry you" in my ear and gives that huge, teeth filled smile. I have watched these kids grow up. I was there to clean up the projectile poop of infant-hood. I was there to stick cheerio's on their faces. I was there to see their first steps. I was their to watch them discover their world. I was their to see their faces light up at a distant plane or train. I was there from the beginning. I know everything about them. Everything.

Then comes Eli. This little boy who calls me "ah papa". Who has been through God know what, who woke up one day and no longer had a mommy. Who traveled across the globe to a place full of white people and air-conditioning. Who will not sleep through the night. Who seems to really love it here but can't communicate, so I don't really know for sure. I am supposed to be his daddy. I am supposed to love him as much as my other children. I am supposed to have the same feelings for him. I am supposed to call him my son.

To be honest, and I am following my wife's lead here, I am struggling. I do love Eli, I would protect him from anyone or anything. But I don't know him. I have no idea who this little guy is. I wasn't there for any milestone of his life. I have no idea where little scars came from. I know nothing. Nothing but the fact that he needed a daddy and mommy.

So how does this work? I have purposed in my heart not to get frustrated in front of him anymore, I have decided to grow in love with this little guy, and I have made a decision to invest my life into this former-orphan. But I still feel like I am failing in so many ways. Stretched to thin. To quote C.S. Lewis, like butter spread over too much bread.

I know I am equipped with everything I need, I know my God is able and with me, I know this pleases his heart, but I definitely do not feel like the hero. From my perspective, I need a hero.
Newer Post Older Post Home

10 comments:

ADawson said...

You are both heros in Eli's eyes!

Mine too. Love ya.

Bobbie Grant said...

Addie is right. You guys being so transparent about your journey is going to help other people who feel like what they are going through isn't "normal" or they are failing. You guys have given Eli the gift of a family. The gift of growing up in a Christian home with Godly parents.
And I know I only keep up with you guys on our blogs, but you really are heros. Jenn inspires me with every blog.
Everything will come in time.

Meg said...

Beautifully honest. thanks J&J

Renae said...

You guys are NOT alone...we too are "growing in love" with our new daughter, who is also three...it was difficult NOT to feel all those ooey-gooey feelings for her...but you're right, this is HIS plan and obedience always comes before feelings..or it should:). Praying and so loving the honesty here!

Stacey said...

Again, thank you for sharing your life with us. You know what? It's so evident that God truly is your hero. And you have taken on his heart and have laid down your very life...everything that you have known until now, for this one who has been unknown to you. Miraculous from my perspective and contagious!

Colie said...

Wonderfully written! Sometimes love is more of a choice. Someday it will feel easy. Until then, we have a choice!

Jeanne said...

Albert Allen used to say love is not a feeling, but a choice. I believe that, but I also know the difference in a biological newborn and a hurting kid coming into your family. One is easy, the other is hard. I'm glad I didn't know what I was getting in to, I probably would have chickened out. It is very painful to me to admit that shortcoming, but I think God purposefully did not show me what was coming, or how difficult the road would be. Even four years later, I struggle and have to remind myself to choose love. And yet, people also call me a hero. Our kids deserve that status more than we do. But we can share it with them, and we can maybe inspire other people to walk this excrutiating but God-approved and beautiful path.

AA said...

you ARE a hero, not only Eli's, but after this, mine too. :) this was beautifully written.

-AA


would you mine checking mine out: http://www.listnethenspeak.blogspot.com

Jim Hambrick said...

Your stories always touch my heart. We laugh with you and sometimes cry with you. Thank you both for being so transparent. I can’t help from wonder if little Eli could write his story what he would say. Probably something like this.
Eli’s story.
Was I not good enough,
Where did she go?
Why did she leave me here?
I watch the other kids disappear one by one,
They seem happy as they leave in the arms of grownups.
Will someone take me some day?
Are these pictures real?
Will they love me?
Will they leave me?
I wonder what their voices sound like.
Is that really them?
Did they really come?
Do I hug them or hold back?
Will I go with them now?
Where will we go?
Will they leave me?
Things are so strange here.
Should I love them or hold back?
It seems real.
I think they love me.
They are always there.
I think I can trust them.
I think its ok to love them.
I don’t think they will leave me.
My yesterdays are fading.
I think they are real.

REAL HEROES DON’T EVEN KNOW IT.
WE LOVE BOTH OF YOU MORE THAN YOU KNOW.

Trudy said...

You guys are so special to so many! You have done what alot of us wish we had the strength and courage to do. Jeremiah, you may not have been there for alot of the 'firsts' that Eli has experienced so far, but, you will be there for all of the 'firsts' to come. Hang in there! We love you and Jenn and are praying for you everyday!