Observations of the Dental Kind

By | 2:57 PM Leave a Comment
Yesterday I took Ella to the dentist for a routine cleaning.

Jeremiah had taken her last time, so this was my first time going.

I have to say it was kind of an overwhelming experience for me...and I wasn't even the patient =)

First of all, we walked into the waiting room and there are 4 televisions on at the same time. All 4 televisions have different cartoons. All 4 televisions have the volume up loud.

Imagine Tom & Jerry vs. Dora vs. The Pride Family vs. The Mickey Mouse Club.

Secondly, there are large murals painted on all of the walls portraying different scenes from The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo. Except that in spots they just sort of combined the two and you have Flounder hanging out with Nemo and Ariel swimming around with Dory.

Thirdly, our dental technician, while very nice, could not speak english very clearly. He was also very, um, effeminate. Combine that with the plastic guard he had over his face and it was all I could do to understand him. I must have asked him to repeat himself at least a dozen times.

Lastly, after the cleaning (thankfully, everything was perfect with her teeth) they took Ella to this big treasure chest filled to overflowing (literally!) with little toys. Hundreds of them. She was told she could pick out one.

One?


Out of an entire treasure chest filled to overflowing with hundreds of toys.

Insert 3 year old thinking: What if there is something better at the next level of toys, or the next, or the next level, or the next, or the bottom?

Yeah. It took a while for Ella to make a decision.

Why do they think that because it is a pediatric dentist they have to completely overstimulate and overwhelm the senses?

Although...Ella seemed just fine with it all.

Maybe it is just me?!

Regardless, I was so relieved to get out of there!

I think I'll have Jeremiah take her next time =)
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: