ThankFull Week (Active Contentment)

By | 1:00 PM Leave a Comment
Jeremiah and I did a contentment experiment last year that really taught us a lot.

I am reflecting on what we have fleshed out this year regarding being content.

And yes, this does relate to Thanksgiving.

I have learned that one does not just will oneself to be content. I can't tell myself "I am content" and...poof! It happens.

(If it worked that way I would next try telling Ezra "you are potty trained!" Ha!)

Like with all sin, when struggling with discontentment, one simply doesn't just remove the discontent. It has to be replaced with something else.

I have learned that contentment is gained by being actively and intentionally generous and thankful.

When I am focused on all that the Lord has blessed me with I cannot help but be content. When I am actively being thankful I cannot help but be overwhelmed with the goodness of the Lord. When I realize all that I have to be thankful for I cannot help but want to share with others.

Pastor Clay spoke a few weeks ago on the subject of biblical finances. He used an illuminating illustration on how when we are comparing ourselves to others in the aspect of "goodness" we always compare ourselves to people "below" us on the goodness scope...murderers, adulterers, etc. However, when we compare ourselves to others in the aspect of what we "have" we always compare ourselves to people "above" us on the possession scale...people with more cars, clothes, etc.

If we can retrain our minds to look at all we have been given and blessed with and have in our lives we cannot help but be thankful.

In turn, true thankfulness breeds generosity.

Generosity breeds contentment.

May your Thanksgiving this year bring about true contentment.

______________________________________________

Philippians 4:11-13

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: