Mommy burn-out, part 5

By | 9:59 PM 6 comments
This is the final post of my avoiding mommy-burn out series. Check out the last 5 posts to catch up on any you might have missed.

One last tool I have learned to avoid being burned out as a mommy:

5) Keep it simple (or, learn to say NO!)


In our culture we have a special badge we give to people. We wear it proudly on our shirts so everyone can see it.

It's big and bright and has neon letters shouting out...BUSY!

If you can answer "busy" to the "how've you been question" then you must be very important.

Of course I'm being a bit sarcastic here =)

But, when it comes to being a mom, the busier you are the easier it is to get burned out. I know for me that the days/weeks I have overcommitted myself (even to doing good things) I tend to just "get through" the days with my kids.

Now, I know there are some things you just have to do. I'm not advocating being lazy or becoming a hermit =) But, I am learning to be very careful at what I commit myself to, or as the kids get older, what I commit them to.

I am learning to say no, to keep things simple. I am learning to brush aside the feelings of my worth being found in how busy or how involved I am.

I love this quote by Linda Dillow in her book, Satisfy My Thirsty Soul

Do you experience astonished wonder at God's creation(your children)?
If not, stop racing long enough to turn your gaze up and ask the Father to pour wonder into your heart.


Jeremiah has been super busy this week and I've had almost every day and night by myself with the kids. Anyone who knows me knows that this would usually be a recipe for disaster and burn out for me! But, instead, I have had one of the best times EVER with my kids this week.

Part of the reason for the great week is the reminder to myself I have been getting by writing these blogs. But another, huge part of it is that we didn't have a lot on our "to do" list this week. We actually only went out once together to the library. But, man, have we painted, read books, danced our feet off, cooked together, learned all about the letter H, read books, fished, captured bugs, read books, and read some more books =) This was a rare (and precious!) week for me, and I know I am not going to be able to have weeks like this often. But I am thankful for the chance to truly and deeply enjoy being with Ella and Ezra this week.

Thank you all for your sweet words of encouragement to me this week. I hope you have enjoyed the little bit of truths the Lord has shown me in my short parenting journey.
Newer Post Older Post Home

6 comments:

Heather said...

Does this contradict the "scheduling" thing? :-) I need a balance. (hahaha) I have been totally convicted lately of being too "busy" with the regular day to day stuff. (cleaning) I need to stop and just PLAY or read some good books to the children.

the broomes said...

Thank you so much for sharing these truths with us, Jenn! You have been a great encouragement to me this week. How very blessed we are to be wives and mothers!!!!

The Martins said...

I've loved reading these posts! i can totally relate! They have been so encouraging and a great reminder.

Jenn, Thank you for sharing and encouraging!! Burn out and discouragement seem to be an everyday struggle for me! Thank you for your sweet words :)
Shannon B.

These were awesome!! What great reminders. Thank you so much for putting yourself out there and sharing what works for you!
See you in 2 DAYS!!!!!!!

Becky Swann said...

I LOVE THESE! so encouraging! good words, I love that you are in the word and God is using you to be such a wonderful mom.