The Senses Five

By | 12:22 PM 5 comments
We have been learning about the five senses this week in our preschool.

I think it has been my favorite unit study we have done so far, and I know Ella loved it.



We read You Can't Taste A Pickle With Your Ear by Harriet Ziefert. A great book to introduce the concept of the five senses. (Your library will have it)















For touch we played the hidden object in the sock game. Using only her sense of touch Ella had to identify several different objects...






















For smell I blindfolded her and had her try to identify various different smells...



















For sound we jammed out to Playhouse Disney's Music Playdate CD. (Again, your library should have it. Ours had 5 copies.) There is a song on there called the "Freeze" song where the music is interrupted several times by a shout of "freeze!" and you can't move until the music starts up again. Several times there are attempts to trick the kids and shouts of "trees and bees" are mixed in. We also played the repeat the beat game. I sound out a beat by clapping and hitting my legs...and Ella tries to repeat. She actually did way better than try...she was really good at that game. Dare I say almost better than her mom? I think she got her Daddy's sense of rhythm.






















For sight we did a froot loop rainbow craft...
























And for taste I set up a mixing station in the kitchen with several bowls, spoons, and ingredients including sugar, flour, lemon juice, honey, ketchup, oats, etc. and I let her mix and stir and taste and create and not worry about making a mess. No pictures of this one because I was having too much fun with her =)

And just because I know you are wondering...

What did Ezra do during all of this?

He cleaned up all the leftover froot loops. It was a hard job but somebody had to do it.

Newer Post Older Post Home

5 comments:

Looks like tons of fun!

mommajeane said...

I love Ella's beautiful outfit today....made me smile to see such a sweet and pretty girl dressed lots like her momma used to.

We did the "freeze" song when I was teaching preschool. The kids loved it!!!

Kelly Via said...

Great Unit, Jenn!! I can't wait to copy some of your great ideas!! Cana and Kayil will love doing these.

Sounds like great fun! I, like your mom, loved her outfit! And Ezra did an awesome cleanup job I am sure! ;-)