If I only had a brain

By | 7:07 AM 6 comments
I have gone to the grocery store more times in the last week that I normally go in two months. I will get home thinking I have gotten all we needed...only to realize within a few hours that I forgot something.

Not something like granola bars something. But something like a toilet paper something. The kind of somethings you really can't go without.

I have started more sentences than I care to think about only to trail off half way through completely oblivious to the reason I started talking in the first place. Ask Jeremiah how many times I have called him at work only to forget the reason for my call. I ran out of my "I just called to say I love you" excuses several days ago. Now he is onto me.

Ella has even stolen my line and told me to "focus" this week.

I lay in bed awake into the wee hours of the morning. Which is not normal for me as those of you who know my early bird tendencies can account for.

I just can't seem to shut my brain off.
Or on at the appropriate times.
Or focused on the task at hand.
Or...

Jeremiah told me today that he has never (in our seven years of marriage) seen me like this before. He used the words "ball of excited craziness" in his description of me. It probably should have offended me but I was kind of zoned out when he said it.

Kidding. Kidding. Maybe?

I wrote about adoption brain early in our paperwork jungle of the adoption process. I found it to be very similar to my experiences with baby brain during my pregnancies. And it seems to have made a reappearance (with a vengeance) these last few weeks before we get Eli.

I am all at the same time excited and terrified and overwhelmed and perfectly at peace.

All those emotions must be creating a short in my brain.

That must be it. Right. Right?

And it will resolve itself. Right?

p.s. If you need to get a hold of me this week, just stop by the Hillsborough Road Kroger and you'll probably find me.
Newer Post Older Post Home

6 comments:

Meg said...

There is a lovely woman who works at the Hillsborough Rd Kroger who is an ethiopian-american.
She loves on Sam everytime we are there, and it always speaking Amharic to him (which he doesn't understand one word of). But she is wonderful, seek her out while you are there and prcatice some Amharic!

mommajeane said...

Oh Jenn... for everyone of my adoptions I have been all of those and more...I wake up in the middle of the nite and think," What did we do?" and as you know I would do every single one again--- perfectly normal brain to me. I would love to see Jeremiah's reaction to it though :)

Megan - I think I have met her...Mekdes? is her name I think? Yes, she is lovely! I am excited to bring Eli in to introduce him in just a few weeks!

Kelly Via said...

Jenn, this is a sweet blog. I know you are SO excited to finally bring Eli home, and it is so cute to see how you are having the 'baby brain' in this adoption. It makes you wonder what God is doing in our bodies as mommies as we prepare for our growing families, both in adoptions and pregnancies. Pretty cool actually that you are experiencing some of the same things during this 'pregnancy' time with Eli much like your other pregnancies.

Dana said...

I don't know what all this "baby brain" talk is about.
I've been like that for YEARS...and it's only getting worse. (But I am a bit older than you.) :)
Love ya!

Briana said...

i like this. a lot.