Today is the last day before we leave. It just feels surreal.
I could blab on and on about what I am feeling...but, oh wait...I think I've already done that.
So, instead (lucky you) I will leave you with some details about our trip:
- The weather is expected to be in the mid 60's to low 70's, and dip into the 50's at night. I think this is my first trip out of the country where I am going to a place that is not sweltering hot. I am liking that idea.
- Because of the altitude of Addis Ababa (8200 feet above sea level) there are no mosquito's and therefore no need for us to take malaria medicine. Yeah, I am liking that too. Much as I enjoy having (malaria medicine induced) crazy dreams of killing my nieces and nephews.
- The time in Addis Ababa is 8 hours ahead of us on the east coast. Pray accordingly. (Just kidding...pray anytime you think of us!)
- I am bringing a lot of snacks for us. As much as I like to think I am an adventurous eater...I'm really not. I'd rather not spend the first week of meeting Eli stuck in a bathroom. Oh, and I've packed an arsenal of stomach medicines should the need arise. Really, I am a walking pharmacy. Perhaps I should set up a clinic while I'm there.
- We have a 9 hour layover in DC tomorrow. All because it saved us $150 bucks. Sometimes I really need to not be so frugal.
- I made the kids a packet to open for each day we are gone. They have a specific thing to pray for each day as well as a task to do. And of course, a fun toy to play with and candy to enjoy =) I also have fun ideas for swimming, going to the movies, and going to the library with the grandparents. They probably aren't going to want us to come home.
- We are taking a whole suitcase dedicated to orphanage donations. It is mostly taken up by two solar powered security lights the orphanage needed replaced. I am very excited we were able to do this.