A Mother's Gift

By | 12:00 PM 5 comments
We are headed up north today for a quick visit to my family for the upcoming Mother's Day weekend. My mom is the keynote speaker at her home church's mother/daughter banquet.

As we approach this Mother's Day I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the gifts my mother has passed onto me.

I'm not necessarily talking about the "big" things. You know, the introducing me to Jesus and loving my Dad moments.

Yes, I'm immensely thankful for those...but that is not what I've been thinking on.

I've more been thinking about the smaller everyday things...

The things I know how to do...but learned from her without even realizing it was her I learned it from:
  • The importance of keeping up the daily habit of flossing your teeth.
  • Knowing the difference between a perennial and an annual
  • Teaching me how to properly clean a bathroom (and house for that matter!)
  • The lesson of always looking an adult in the eye when talking to them
  • Knowing how to make homemade chicken noodle soup and Grandmothers cabbage rolls
  • Teaching me how to backfloat (I can still hear her telling me to close my eyes and think about Grandad)
  • The lesson of always returning something borrowed nicer than you got it
Then there are the things that she did that shaped me as a child and continue to influence me as an adult...and ultimately influence me as a mom now to my own children.

The things like:
  • Learning to love to read - Absorbed by weekly library trips, tv fasts, and watching her read all the time
  • Bringing me up with an awareness for the underdog in life
  • Allowing me to cultivate the gift of creativity - Not allowing the word "bored" to enter into my vocabulary without the direst of consequences =)
  • Learning to love to be by myself and be discretionary in choosing my activities - Not pushing me from one activity to another to another to another as I grew up.
Of course, I could go on...but I think I've made my point.

I've got a pretty incredible Mom.

I am looking forward to spending some time with her this weekend.

******************************************************************************
What about you?

I'd love to hear about some of the smaller seemingly inconsequential things your mom did in your life that you are grateful for!

Leave a comment or a link to a post on your blog!
Newer Post Older Post Home

5 comments:

hollan said...

Hey Jen,I think that i have been grateful 4 getting me things when i may not need them! Hollan

Learning how to be independent and "I can do everything that boys can do" type mentality... for example, when we were building our house, I got right in and helped with the difficult things rather than waiting on my husband or another male to jump in.

Erin said...

my mom taught me how to make sweet tea that's really sweet (the way it should be), but not syrupy! :)

Jeanne said...

My mom was always THERE. She was the GA's teacher, the Girl Scout troop leader, etc. Also, she didn't ask a question if she didn't want to know the answer (she was good at ignoring some things). I think I need to remember that this week.

Alli Dellinger said...

my mom taught me... the look. you know, the you better not do that again or you know what will happen look. :P i also learned that you dont have to always fix someones problems, just listen and support. I LOVE YOU MOMMY! :P